- Philosophy and Early Childhood Special Education in Malaysia and in the West -SynopsisPhilosophy and Early Childhood Special Education in Malaysia and in the WestThe module aims to give an understanding and overview picture about National Philosophy of Education and Special Education in Malaysia. Students will also be informed of the several important sources or key persons in early childhood and special education and their philosophical background in early childhood education and special education.
- Knowing How Young Children Grow and Learn -SynopsisKnowing How Young Children Grow and LearnKnowledge of all dimensions of the development of the whole child is essential for observing, planning and evaluating learning and effective teaching. This module will introduce students to the complexities and inter-relatedness of child normal and abnormal development, and will assist students to recognize the use of such knowledge in their professional activities. This module will require students to demonstrate their knowledge in a wide-ranging examination of the content of the unit, and to undertake a practical activity in child studies. The content of this module provides the foundations for many other units in this module.
- Understanding Young Children with Special Needs -SynopsisUnderstanding Young Children with Special NeedsIncluding children with special needs is the challenge of today in Malaysia, thus students will be able to acquire adequate knowledge in responding sensitively and responsively to the process of inclusion. This module aims to prepare students to manage various types of children with special needs of children in a variety of settings. Students will also be introduced to notions of professional conduct in observing and teaching children with special needs, and to understanding the limitations of their own experiences and abilities so that they are competent in referring children with special needs to specialist personnel, and for working in collaboration with such personnel in delivering effective educational programs for all children with special needs.
- Observing & Assessing Young Children’s Development -SynopsisObserving, Assessing & Evaluating Young Children’s DevelopmentObservation is central to good teaching, and observation is founded upon knowledge of child development and learning. It is axiomatic that the more knowledgeable the special education teacher is, the more perceptive and insightful will be the interpretations from which to teach. This module will introduce students to techniques for observing and record-keeping. Students will also understand the professional concept of knowing the limitations of their experiences and interpretations.
- Safety, Health, Nutrition & Hygiene -SynopsisSafety & Health and Nutrition & HygieneThe health and safety of the children with special needs and the staff of the kindergarten and child care centre is the first concern of the Director and staff members. Maslow’s hierarchy provides special education teachers with a clear statement of the value of nutrition, shelter and safety in people’s lives. Students learn to identify different symptoms in children related to illnesses. To prevent and also to deal with these.
- Educating Children with Learning Disability -SynopsisEducating Children with Learning DisabilityThis module provides students with an introductory knowledge to learning disabilities. It also provides substantial knowledge and skills as to how students can identify such children using simple screening instruments and to prepare or design remedial programmes to meet with the special needs of children with learning disabilities.
- Educating Children with Autism -SynopsisEducating Children with AutismThis module provides an overview of educating children with Autism in different settings and current effective approaches. Students will acquire knowledge and understanding about behaviour and intervention strategies and be able to write IFSPs and IEPs. They will be attached to centers/schools with autistic children and gain working experience in these settings.
- Educating Children with Down Syndrome -SynopsisEducating Children with Down SyndromeThis module provides students with adequate knowledge and skills in identifying and writing IFSP and IEPs for children with DS. Students will acquire adequate knowledge on the physical, educational and life chances of children with DS. They will also gain actual teaching experiences in school settings where there is inclusion of children with DS.
- Educating Children with Dyslexia -SynopsisEducating Children with DyslexiaThe module will expose students to the different causes of dyslexia in children. They will also be exposed to the developmental stages of children with dyslexia. Students will be taught how to identify and access children who might have dyslexia. Students will also be taught the different approaches in teaching young children with dyslexia.
- Educating Children with Cerebral Palsy -SynopsisEducating Children with Cerebral PalsyThis module will expose students to two different types of children with special needs who are very challenging. Students will be able to study their characteristics and ehavior patterns. They will also be exposed to information on choosing appropriate adaptive aids, design and special education technology.
- Educating Children with ADHD -SynopsisEducating Children with ADHDThis module will expose students to the definition and characteristics of children with ADHD. Simple screening measures and assessment procedures will also be provided for students. Effective classroom organisation and management for ADHD children together with curricular adaptations and teaching methods will also be covered.
- Educating Children who are Gifted and Talented -SynopsisEducating Children who are Talented and GiftedThe module provides students with knowledge and understanding about gifted children as to how to identify them and the challenges it brings for parents and the education system. The main component of the module is to provide information on content modification of subjects and related planning and management strategies for special education teachers and parents. More specifically the module will also focus on how students can use information-processing strategies and creativity. The module will include special populations that include preschool gifted children, gifted students with disabilities, culturally diverse gifted students and underachieving gifted students.
- Family and Community 1 -SynopsisFamily and Community 1This module helps students to gain an insight into issues related to families and also how these issues influence both parents and children with emphasis on special children. Students are taught on causes of family problems and how to help solve these problems. Further to this, special education teachers and child care workers are also vital to the development of the community’s support for the family as well as the individual, and must be knowledgeable and articulate about family matters and issues affecting families. The need for collaborative work/partnership is crucial for educational success in the context of educating young children with special needs.
- Family and Community 2 -SynopsisFamily and Community 2Special education teachers and child care workers are closely involved in the development and well-being of the children with special needs in their care and enjoy a partnership with parents and community support groups to assist the development of the children with special needs. This module will assist students to develop procedures and practices for harnessing the community systems to support the children with special needs and their families.
- Inclusive Education -SynopsisInclusive EducationInclusive education is the current challenge for all concerned with quality education for children with special needs in Malaysia. This module will prepare students to gain adequate knowledge and skills about inclusive education and how to prepare and implement inclusive practices in their preschools to enable successful integration of children with disabilities in the Malaysian society. A holistic approach is taken to involve all the parties concerned to make inclusive education a success. Raising confidence and studying about support systems by parents and special education teacher teachers is crucial for the success of inclusion. The module will share good practices and the reality of challenges faced by inclusive schools.
- Curriculum and Evaluation for Children with Special Needs -SynopsisCurriculum and Evaluation for Children with Special NeedsStudents will be exposed to various curricular modules that are available locally and internationally. Students study the appropriateness of curricular and evaluation information and how best to use it objectively in providing quality education for children with special needs. Various curriculum models and evaluation module are exposed for analysis and selection. Adaptations of curriculum and evaluation module are taught using some guiding principles.
- Programme Planning and Strategic Teaching in Regular and Special Education -SynopsisProgram Planning and Strategic Teaching in Regular and Special EducationThe module aims to provide and give experience to students in choosing the relevant and appropriate activities for preschool children with special needs. It includes a discussion in planning activities to satisfy or fulfil individual and group work activity. Students will also be taught the web based learning. They will also be exposed how to analyze instructional environments and how to adapt instructions.
- Interpersonal and Communication Skills -SynopsisInterpersonal and Communication SkillsModern societies expect that all professional persons working in service industries have a high level of interpersonal and communication skills. Special education teachers who work with children with special needs are expected to be models of such skills, demonstrating their skills in their interactions with children with special needs and parents.
There will also be a focus on using information about the latest developments in special education as vehicles for demonstrating personal and professional self-confidence and development. Students will be exposed to alternative communication systems to enable them to reach out to children with severe communication difficulties.
- Practicum 1 -SynopsisPracticum 1This module is aimed at providing students with the opportunity to further develop their understanding of and competencies in working in a practical situation with children with special needs.
This module will place emphasis in providing special education teacher opportunities to plan learning programs, to teach children with special needs in the capacity as assistants to special education teachers, to communicate with other professionals in this field and with parents.
This module will be a preparatory stage, laying the necessary skills, knowledge and attitude required of them in practicum 2. The necessary adjustment, understanding and insight into the world of children with special needs and special education teacher will be created.
- Practicum 2 -SynopsisPracticum 2This module is aimed at providing students with the opportunity to further develop their understanding of and competencies in working in a practical situation with children with special need. This module will place emphasis in providing special education teacher opportunities to plan learning programs, to teach children with special needs in their capacity as special education teachers, to communicate with other professionals in this field and with parents.
This module will be providing students with the necessary skills, knowledge and attitude required of them when they venture into special education. The necessary adjustment, understanding and insight into the world of children with special needs and special education teacher will be created. This will enable a smooth transition when they take on the role of educators of children with special needs.
- Pengajian Malaysia
- Elective Subject
- Community Service
|ENTRY REQUIREMENTS||DURATION||FINANCING OPTIONS|